As a health conscious individual, if you regularly use edible oils, it is evident that you know their outstanding attributes. It is no secret now that we are living in a world where our bodies are unknowingly exposed to various types of ailments. Therefore, it becomes paramount for every family that its everyday meals are cooked in edible oils so as to eliminate chances of any health perils.
However, while rejoicing the above healthy facets about the edible oils, one thing must have certainly amazed you – their packing. And when you closely observe, you are left to wonder how challenging it should be for the manufacturers – to send thousands of litres of edible oil adequately bundled in those colourful bottles to customers, and to make sure that the oil reaches your home with complete sanctity! Well, that is a sensible point; manufacturers of edible oils have to lay significantly high stress in terms of their packaging. But before we know more about that, let’s find out what characteristics make edible oils so much preferable and why their packaging has to be user-sensitive.
Why Edible Oils need special packaging
You can find edible oils in a large variety. Amongst all others, corn oil and vegetable oil are highly preferred by people because they are inexpensive. These oils go through a heavy processing mechanism due to which trans-fat content in them is excessive. Those who regularly use processed oils are always prone to different diseases such as coronary artery diseases or enhanced hypertension.
On the other hand, edible oils got high nutritional value and they reduce chances of diseases as they keep body nourished. The edible peculiarities of these oils can be enjoyed in a variety of ways:
- Olive Oil lets you forget possibility of heart problems because it is rich with monounsaturated fat. Its fruity flavour is always a surplus treat to your dishes. With regular consumption, some types of cancers and diabetes can be kept at bay. Because of these health advantages, olive oil can be assuredly used for both vegetarian and non-vegetarian cooking. Today, it becomes the top choice worldwide. People do not bother paying high in lieu of incredible health benefits achieved.
- Qualities of olive oils are best retained in specialized PET bottle packaging. The PET bottle packaging primarily focuses on:
– Freshness, because this form of edible oil is usually preserved and not consumed instantly, and PET makes sure that.
– Acidity, because this is the foremost thing for extra virgin olive consumers. PET bottle packaging ascertains its originality along with its acidic flavour.
- Coconut Oil is another important form of edible oil which is rich with properties that are antifungal and antiviral. National Centre for Biotechnology has confirmed its disease-fighting characteristics being rich with medium-chain fatty acid and lauric acid. This edible oil form also checks cholesterol level because of monounsaturated fat contents.
Specially designed edible oil PET bottle packaging makes sure that triglyceride levels are adequately maintained in the oil. PET also keeps the oil free from any contamination and retains its healthy-hearth qualities.
What attributes are important while designing PET bottles for oils?
Designs and shapes play an important role from the aesthetic point of view. It is a proven fact that if the design appeals to the buyer, there is greatly likely he or she go for the product. Therefore, cute and catchy designs are preferred. Specialists recommend that following attributes should be there in an oil bottle:
- Stability: It is critical that the design is stable. It can be stacked easily in the shelves/boxes. Homes, supermarkets, and conventional shops have a large handling of oil bottles. Unstable/inconvenient design causes damage during transit or storage.
- Shape: Edible oil PET bottles should be should be shaped in such a way that it is convenient to pick and lift. Handling comfort is the prime criteria while finalizing the shape.
- Durability: It is important that oil bottles are durable. The design and shape shouldn’t have weaker areas that are unable to sustain pressures. There is a risk of leakage and damage from such weaker points.
- Leak proof and moisture resistance: Absolute leak proof bottles are needed for edible oil packaging.. High precision moulding machines are required for zero defect bottles. Oil has to be kept 100% moisture free because it gets contaminated in the presence of moisture. Hence, it is important that stringent quality measures are followed for production.
- Recyclability: Oil is a consumable item. Hence, there is fast recycling of packaging bottles. If the material is 100% recyclable, then it is not only environment friendly, but cost effective as well. Use of virgin plastic is mandatory for oil bottles. The production units have to follow government norms defined for production and recycling.
- Cost: Since these bottles are required in huge quantities, they have to be inexpensive. Intricate designs bring more wastage in production increasing production cost. Simple, but unique designs are always preferred.
- Colour: Usually clear PET bottles are used for oil packaging. Dark yellow or green bottles are also a popular choice. Semi-transparent or opaque bottles are also quite popular today.
It is because of the sensitive characteristics of edible oils which are always prone to oxidative deterioration like adverse circumstances leading to photo-oxidation. Consequently, it becomes imperative for the manufacturers to get particularly designed bottles and pack the edible oil in bottles of specific shapes. Following part of this article elaborately discusses what PET bottle packaging used for this purpose. But before that, it should be ideal to know more about edible oils, chemical changes leading to their damage and how PET bottles turned out to be the best alternate for their packing.
Edible oils are light sensitive food items with a high risk of degradation due to oxidation. It impacts adversely on the colour, consistency, and taste. It also reduces shelf-life. Therefore, UV absorbers or chromophor deactivating substances need to be added in the material. Adequate research and concentration are required to derive at competent design.